This famous quote , by Simone De Beauvoir, “one is not born but rather becomes, a woman” Seems to have been co-opted by the trans lobby as a totem for their cause, meaning, as they see it, that one can become a woman, so to speak, by defining one’s self as one, ie; ” identifying”.
Well. I’ve a few questions then.
1. Have you ever belonged to a class of people whose reproductive biology is seen as their duty?
2. Given that, have you ever belonged to a class of people who are used, via rape of said, as a weapon of war and ethnic cleansing, throughout history and still, to this day, around the world?
3. Do you belong to a class of people who are held accountable for said rapes, and violence toward them in general, because you have a vulva?
4. Do you belong to a class of people (see question 2 which is related) whose reproductive biology has, is ,and will be, used as a weapon against you, to deny you basic human rights and freedoms?
5. Do you belong to a class of people who are expected to fulfil their biological duty, often coerced to, frequently
with neither moral or financial support, should a member of the other class see fit to deprive you of it?
6. Do you belong to a class of people whose worth is often purely
based on their reproductive biology, and the signs of youthful fecundity that indicate said?
7. Do you belong to a class of people whose attire , from footbinding, corsets, niqab, haute couture , fashion ad infinitum- is used as a tool to simultaneously oppress you and mark you as a member of that oppressed class, through narratives and dictats laid down by the other class ?
8. Do you belong to a class of people who are forced to wear attire that whilst purporting to hide your fecundity, actually serves to draw attention to it?
9. Do you belong to a class of people who are held accountable for the other classes morals? Are you blamed for violence toward you? Are you expected to “put out” and then punished when you do ?
10. Has all of the above, and more, so MUCH more, been inculcated through millennia on your class, and on you- unrelentingly, violently , subtly , subconsciously – just because of your reproductive biology, since BIRTH?
Well. If you had ANY knowledge of De Beauvoir’s work, you will know that only by being able to answer “yes”, to all of the above, is how one “becomes a woman”.
And if you were born male, none of the above will EVER have applied to you, so whilst you may wish to be a woman, identify as such,and while any humane society will tolerate you doing so, you will never “become” a woman.
So, find your own identity, don’t co-opt mine, and don’t use feminist theory and woman’s history, to silence a class of people who you will never, ever *identify* with.